Wednesday 2 October 2013

Week 10: Midwife Booking In Appointment

So, I managed going to back to work for all of 1 hour this week. On Tuesday, the day of my 1st midwife booking in appointment, which I had been so looking forward to.

I dragged myself to work and after an extremely dodgy journey, I finally made it in just in time to throw up my breakfast and collapse at my desk in tears.

My work colleagues took pity on me and sent me home with the instructions to get a note signing me off this week. I felt wretched as I called my GP for an appointment 2 hours later. 

But that was just the beginning of the worst day in my pregnancy to date so far.

I have no idea how, but I managed to get myself on the tube and onto a train home, but by this point my underwired bra felt like it was digging into me, and my sickly tummy couldn't stand the pressure, so there I was, on the 10:20am train home, flapping about on a train, desperately trying to take my bra off, while panting through the sickness and sipping lukewarm water.

I’m pretty sure moans of desperation and ickyness may have left my mouth on that 25 minute journey, the longest journey of my life.

Once home my hubby who was working from home that day ahead of our midwife appointment, put me to bed to rest ahead of my GP appointment. 

Things didn't get any better there.

Sat in a stinking hot waiting room with no air or water to hand I was rocking through the sickness at the clinic and eventually succumbed to my need to throw up right as I was being called in for my appointment.

 This was not a hi-light of my day. Neither was tearfully accepting my GP’s prescription for an anti sickness drug called Cyclizine, which will feature more in my next post.

This is what you book of 'notes' looks like- Keep it close!

Despite my semi-consciousness, we did make it to the hospital for my midwife appointment, though I could tell you very little about what happened as I spent the majority of my time in the loo!

She took a sample of my urine, weighed me and took my blood pressure. She went through (thoroughly) what felt like THOUSANDS of pages of notes about mine and my husband’s medical history while I sat there nodding along, semi comatosed.

There are a LOT of forms that you have to fill in and they want so much detail too! I guess it’s good, better to be armed with plenty of info than not enough, and I was told that I’d need to carry these notes with me at all times, as in the event that anything happens to me or the baby, everything any nurse/doctor would need to know is written there. So keep your notes close by ladies!

I got given one of these too, which was mainly filled with adverts for baby Paraphernalia
 and small samples of various things such as coffee (random) but it is a great, waterproof place to slip my hospital notes into to stop them getting grimey when I carry them around with me for the next 30 weeks!

I made it home from the appointment in one piece, not before having to barge the hubby out of the way when he opened the door to race for the loo before it was game over again. 

Did I mention it was also one of the hottest bleeding days of the year so far this day?

This was not my favourite day by a LONG shot. 

3 comments:

  1. My friend photocopied all her notes and put them in to plastic slip wallets and gave her parents and inlaws a copy, a copy for her desk at work, a copy for her car and hubs car and scanned a copy on to a googledrive and then that way she was guaranteed to always have a copy to hand without having to physically carry the big file round.

    She is a bit OCD like so it might be a bit overkill, but i'd say the plastic wallets would be handy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its funny you say that because I considered doing that too but though 'nah, its just hassle' but in reality, its actually a pretty good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My notes were lost by someone in the hospital when I went for a scan....lol They replaced them all! Phew! I guarded the new one's with my life!
    Ohh no hope the sickness passes soon x

    ReplyDelete